Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Not Even Bribery Is Safe From The Cost Of Inflation

While we were "home" for Christmas my first cousin got married. This is no ordinary first cousin though, he's more like my little brother. His mom and my mom are sisters and live next door to each other...on the same dirt road as their mom and dad....did I mention that we are the Waltons?

M was one of the flower girls. She's gotten a little weird lately about "performing" in front of people (especially me and her dad for some reason). So when it came time at the rehearsal for her to do her part she refused and proceeded to cry big tears and scream anytime anyone acknowledged her mere existence. Can we say "Diva"?

After a few minutes with Ma Betty (her great-grandmother) M was all thumbs up, ready to charge down the aisle and let us, as a group, look at her. I asked her what changed her mind about the whole flower girl thing and she said with a bit of innocence in her eyes, "Ma Betty said that I could have $20.00".

$20.00!! For $20.00 I'll put on the fairy like dress and toss a few petals around or better yet make her dad.

The big day and more importantly her big time came and sure enough she walked down the aisle like a champ...with not a single petal hitting the floor. She tried to get the money early, but the deal was the she would walk in and OUT. So after the wedding, she's walking around with her money in hand asking when the next wedding is. My little manipulator, I mean entrepreneur.

1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

I wish someone had thought to bribe the flower girls at my wedding!